Oct 18, 2008

The Indian Flag: My interpretations

Reverence
A sense of reverence fills me when I see the flag atop a building. It is almost comparable to that sense of veneration, that a believer feels when he sees a temple, albeit not that deep and profound. It is personal. The flag gives me the same belongingness as my religion.
Pride
For all the times when I have forced myself out of bed and attended ceremonies in school and college on national holidays, I got gooseflesh, of sheer pride as the flag is hoisted. It is not just the symbolism. It is this one thing that so many Indians would gladly stand up for. I am sure if a popularity poll is done among veritable Indians, pride for the Indian flag would come out second, first being passion for cricket.
Nostalgia
The flag reminds me of the few first flags I made as a child in my craft classes. The best thing being you could never go wrong with the colors. I still remember the crudely filled crayons, the stoked squeezed in between in to make the count 24 and the bulging chakra in the centre. This flag and many others could never fill up my appetite for the happiness of holding my own flag, a minor reflection of the greater creation.
The interpretation is vague. But real and heartfelt. This national symbol gives me a subtle kinship with the land where I was born and bought up and keeps me grounded.

1 comment:

Ankur said...

Mere jaan Hindustan, vo kehte hain na 100 mein se 90 baimaan... :))